January’s Photo Project (and Competition!) – COLOUR
I’m so excited to announce the first instalment of a brand new feature for 2021 – MONTHLY PHOTO PROJECTS!
I know that lots of you enjoy taking pictures so I wanted to start something fun, easy and totally free for non-professional photographers to get stuck into too 🙂 This will give you a chance to have some fun with your photography, enjoy being in a relaxed little amateur photography community and maybe even win a prize – free enrolment in the Camera Crew – my online go-at-your-own-pace amateur photography course!
You can use a ‘proper’ camera if you have one, but phone photos are totally fine – just use whatever photo-taking instrument you have to hand! The main aim of the project is not to be worrying about the tech or getting things perfect, but to just enjoy getting into a habit of being creative and taking some cool photos that make you smile.
January’s theme – COLOUR!
Lord knows we need a bit of brightening up at the moment so I thought this would be a nice fun theme to start the year! I’ve always found colour to be really therapeutic. It has the capacity to brighten, to calm, to excite and to comfort… and I think that during these strange old lockdown times this is exactly what the doctor ordered. There are lots of different ways you can explore colour in photography but for this month’s project, while we’re largely at home or staying local, we’re going to look at the native colours of your own life and landscape.
Here are a few quick questions to consider:
1) What is your favourite colour? Does this colour feature prominently in your life? e.g. in your home, belongings etc. What does this colour make you feel?
2) What are the colours of your own personal landscape? Look around you, both indoors and outdoors – your home and also the area that you live in. Look at the prominent colours in nature, the sky, man-made items, local houses, your decor, everything. Again, what do these colours make you feel?
3) Which colours feel like ‘home’ to you?
4) Now choose two colours, the ones that resonate with you the most.
5) Try to create as many images as you can in your home and local environment using these two colours, so you build up a lovely little photographic snapshot of the colours of your life. Try to think about how these colours make you feel – which colours you really love having in your life and why.
How do you join the project?
1) January’s theme is COLOUR – and you can take as many photos within that theme as you like – there’s no limit on entries. You can interpret the theme as literally or as conceptually / symbolically as you like – anything goes!
2) Post the image(s) to Instagram, tagging me @annahardyphoto and with this month’s project’s hashtag #annahardycolourproject in the comments.
3) If you’re not on Instagram, you can also post the images within my free Facebook group Our Everyday Stories. This group also contains heaps of resources and photography tips and tricks to help you take better pictures (on both phones and ‘proper’ cameras). You might want to share your pictures in this group anyway – as you’ll be able to ask advice, chat to other members, enjoy checking out each other’s pictures and get inspired by what others are creating.
🏆 The Prize
At the end of the month I will choose one winner and they will be enrolled for free in the Camera Crew, my online, work-at-your-own-pace amateur photography course (worth £49) – this will help you to really get to grips with your camera and make some creative magic without getting tangled up in the tech!
Good luck folks and I can’t wait to see your pics!
Tips, inspiration and resources to inject some joy & lighten the load
Manchester family photographer, for down-to-earth, adventurous, big-hearted families all across the North West, London and UK
Creative, documentary family photography in Manchester, Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, London
DOWNLOAD MY E-BROCHURE